Male Rhinoplasty

It is often the case that men seeking rhinoplasty for cosmetic reasons have also experienced some trauma to the nose through sports activities or work related accidents. In fact, many of male patients do not realize they have a breathing obstruction having learned to compensate in their daily activities.

We address these functional problems in our overall surgical plan. our patients not only enjoy the cosmetic benefit, but can now breathe more freely improving sleep and quality of life. For some who have been restricted on physical activity, they can now enjoy sports or working out without constantly struggling for breath.


Rhinoplasty Procedure

The technical procedure for male rhinoplasty is no different than for any other specialty such as ethnic rhinoplasty or female rhinoplasty. The difference is in how well the surgeon can correct facial imbalances in a man while preserving the male character of his appearance.

The open-tip method has the advantage of allowing increased visibility and full access to the internal nasal structure. With the closed method, each side of the nose is worked on separately, which is sufficient for certain procedures. With the open-tip method there is more control for the surgeon both in making very precise millimeter sized adjustments, and in placing stabilizing sutures in the cartilage.


We use a general anesthetic for the majority of his rhinoplasty patients. For some patients who require minor changes, local anesthesia may be used.

During general surgery, anesthesiologist ensures the patient remains comfortable and safe during the procedure, allowing him to concentrate on being a rhinoplasty surgeon.


After surgery, patients will be monitored in the recovery suite and once the immediate effects of anesthesia have worn off, will be able to be driven home to complete their recovery. Patients must be driven home after receiving anesthesia and also have an adult remain with them for the first 24 hours to ensure safety and to provide support.

Every patient’s recovery will be different and Dr. Goravanchi will provide comprehensive postoperative instructions for each type of rhinoplasty surgery. The following is a general guide that can be used for planning purposes.

Patients may have a splint or cast placed to stabilize the exterior as well as internal silicone splints. A gauze pad will be secured under the nose to collect fluid and blood that will drain for a few days. The pad can be removed and replaced as needed.

At the first post operative visit Dr. Goravanchi will remove the cast and splints and will remove any non-dissolving stitches. Patients will be feeling much better and recovery will be more comfortable after this visit.

Bathing Eating and Sleeping

It is OK to shower or to take a bath as long as the cast and dressings are kept dry.

Patients will feel tired for a few days so should ensure they get as much sleep as possible. It is important to maintain a semi prone position when sleeping. Using a few pillows under the shoulders should provide enough elevation.

Patients are advised to eat a soft diet to avoid hard or prolonged chewing for the first few weeks. Also, avoid chewing gum for the same period.

Swelling, Bruising and Pain

Pain from rhinoplasty is usually minimal to moderate. The medication that has been prescribed will take care of any pain. Be sure to finish any antibiotic prescription.

The biggest challenge that patients face is dealing with swelling which will increase up to about day 4 post operation and then begin to subside. If there were any controlled fractures, the area under the eyes will likely be bruised. Using cold compresses will help minimize swelling and bruising. Keeping the head elevated will also help decrease swelling.

There will be congestion from internal swelling which will subside towards the end of the first week. Swelling and bruising will start to markedly diminish between 7 to 10 days post op to the point that most patients feel confident going out in public to run errands. For male rhinoplasty patients, any slight bruising can be easily covered with bronzer or makeup.

Black Tie Ready

Improvement will continue so that patients with important events can be ready by the 4th week. That doesn’t mean healing is completed by then, but about 75% of the result will be visible by then with the remaining 25% occurring over the next few months. This is a very subtle process that is not noticeable to most people.

Men are no different than women in their reasons for seeking a rhinoplasty procedure. They want to bring their nose into balance with the rest of their features, through subtle changes that are not obviously the result of cosmetic surgery.

Schedule your private consultation with Dr. Goravanchi today to discuss your options for rhinoplasty. Call our office at (+98) 912 038 6704 today.